St Margaret’s Church
Braemar, Aberdeenshire, AB35 5YP
St Margaret’s is a former Scottish Episcopal Church which lies at the centre of the Aberdeenshire village of Braemar in the Cairngorms National Park. It was built between 1899 and 1907 to provide a place of worship for the large number of visitors from England who flocked to Royal Deeside in Victorian times. The present building replaced an earlier wooden church on the same site which was opened for worship in 1880.
Tibbermore parish church dates from 1632, when the heritors (the local lairds) substantially rebuilt the structure on the medieval east-west alignment - a church dedicated to St Mary existed during the late middle ages. On ceasing to be the parish church, in 1986 it passed into the care of the Tibbermore Charitable Trust. It was acquired by the Scottish Redundant Churches Trust in 2001.
The present building is the successor of earlier places of Christian worship upon or very close to this site. Little is known of the church’s origins, but it was a chaplainry attached to St Kentigern Church, Lanark, in 1150, when both churches were granted by David I to the abbot and canons of Dryburgh Abbey. In the mid-fifteenth century Pettinain appears to have been separated from its mother church, but it remained one of the possessions of the Dryburgh monks until after the Reformation in 1560.
Huntly, Aberdeenshire, AB33 8PH
Grade A listed Kildrummy Parish kirk was built in 1805 and shares its glacial mound with the ruins of the earlier parish church of St Bride; both are situated within a circular enclosure.
There is some debate whether the mound may have been a Norman motte or castle mound, the precursor of Kildrummy Castle, but the site and dating of the ruined St Bride church also point to the possibility of it being an ancient graveyard.
Cromarty East Church
Cromarty, Ross-shire, IV11 8XA
The East Church, the former Parish Church of Cromarty is a remarkable building of national importance, not only for its architecture but also for its representation of ecclesiastical and social change. The physical additions, alterations and remodellings carried out at the church bear witness to speciﬁc periods in the history of Cromarty and of Scotland with times of prosperity, rises in population, the inﬂuence of individuals and changes in liturgical practice.
Using our churches
Churches in the SRCT’s care are not simply museum pieces – they are buildings which are very much alive in their communities and which continue to serve a useful purpose. Trust ownership brings a new range of opportunities and uses for churches which work in parallel with holding occasional services. Our churches host an incredible range of events and activities: from traditional flower festivals to uplifting African drumming workshops, and from local history exhibitions to children’s operas. We have hosted hat-making courses, harp recitals, talks from award winning authors, fiddle festivals, ghost walks, clan gatherings, and much more besides.
Our churches are also available for hire for filming and photo shoots.
All the churches in the SRCT’s care remain as places of worship and can be used for weddings and blessings.
Please contact us to find out more about using one of our churches.
St Peter’s Kirk, Orkney
St Peter’s Kirk was built in 1836-7 as the Parish Church of Sandwick, replacing a series of older churches on the site.
In 1834, the rebuilding of the kirk was proposed by the Minister, the Reverend Charles Clouston, who argued that the current kirk was “ruinous and incapable of accommodating the population of the Parish.” However, it was not until 1836 that work began, largely due to an unsuccessful campaign by Clouston to resite the kirk at the geographical centre of his Parish.
The Kirk stands on an elevated outcrop above the confluence of two fast-flowing burns which, a short distance downstream, provide the waterpower for the historic Mill of Benholm. The site of the Kirk has a long history of religious use, possibly even stretching back into pre-Christian times. The first recorded church dates back to 1242, though it was probably predated by an early Christian church dedicated to the Celtic saint Marnoch.