Huntly, Aberdeenshire, AB33 8PH
Grade A listed Kildrummy Parish kirk was built in 1805 and shares its glacial mound with the ruins of the earlier parish church of St Bride; both are situated within a circular enclosure.
There is some debate whether the mound may have been a Norman motte or castle mound, the precursor of Kildrummy Castle, but the site and dating of the ruined St Bride church also point to the possibility of it being an ancient graveyard.
The church is of a rectangular plan with a bow front, containing an internal staircase and crowned by a bellcote. The two large Gothic tracery windows on the east wall, flood the interior with light. The pulpit is placed between them and surrounded by plain wooden pews and a horseshoe gallery on square columns. The furnishings probably date from 1845-50.
The north wall, standing up to 3m high, and the porch (Elphinstone aisle) dating from 1605 are all that remain of the former St Bride’s church - once called the 'chapel of the lochs' from the marshland that encircled the glacial mound. It is thought to date from 1335 AD or earlier. Within the north wall there is a medieval gothic-arched grave recess to the 3rd Laird of Brux and his wife.
A plaque inside the present church suggests that a chapel dedicated to St Bennet was first established on this site in 518 AD by King Brude, and there was once a St Bride’s Well on the mound, but no sign of these remain.
In the kirkyard there are well over one hundred recumbent tombstones dating from the 16th century onwards. There are also a similar number of upright tombstones from the late 19th century.
The church was acquired by the SRCT in 2009.
The church is open by arrangement